UBC Botanical Garden
John Davidson (August 6, 1878–February 10, 1970)
John Davidson was a botanist who popularized nature study through illustrated public lectures. He created the Vancouver Natural History Society and the University of British Columbia’s herbarium and botanical garden. Today, many consider Davidson an environmental folk hero for his conservation efforts.
A brief history of the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden
The Botanical Garden’s first home was at Essondale, in Coquitlam, from 1912 to 1916. It then moved to West Mall at UBC, where it remained until its abandonment in the 1950s. Since 1968, the UBC Botanical Garden has sat on a 44-hectare (110-acre) parcel of land at the southern part of the university campus.